A few days ago, I finally decided to sort all my MP3s. I started erasing lots of cruft that I never listen to and then renamed some files I had with weird names. I ended up with this layout: Artist/Album year - Album name/Song number - Song name.mp3.

When finished, I was exposed to the task of setting up the ID3 tags for all of them, something I did in the past using custom shell scripts together the id3v2 utility. However, this was a very error prone task, mainly due to string quoting in the shell.

So I decided to give a try to the EasyTAG utility. Man... what a wonderful tool! Just needed a few minutes to discover how it worked, and some minutes later, I had all my songs with correct ID3 tags in them. Certainly, give it a try.

Hmm, now it is a pleasure to use Rhythmbox, as all the songs appear correctly classified. Unfortunately, as it doesn't have an equalizer, I'll stick to Beep Media Player.

Go to posts index

Comments from the original Blogger-hosted post: