• Analysis of SSHFS performance for large builds

    Last week, I spent some time looking at the feasibility of using SSHFS on OS X to access Google’s centralized source tree for the purpose of issuing local builds. My goals were two-fold: first, to avoid having to “clone” the large source code of the apps I wanted to build; and, second, to avoid having to port the source file system (a FUSE module) to the Mac. What I found highlights that SSHFS is not the right choice for locally building a remote source tree. That said, the overall study process was interesting, fun, and I am now tempted to make SSHFS viable for this use case. Read on for the details. [Continue reading]

  • The Medium experiment wrap-up

    Eight months ago, I decided to try Medium as the platform on which to post my essays. Over this time I have published a handful of posts in there—8, to be precise, which is… a very shy number—but the results have been quite satisfactory: the WYSIWYG composer is excellent, the analytics tools are simple but to the point, the looks are great, and the community is nice (though I haven’t been able to tap into it just yet). But where have things failed? [Continue reading]

  • Joining the Blaze team

    It has been over 6 years since I joined Google and throughout this time I have been in the Storage SRE family: first with GFS, then with Colossus, and last with Persistent Disk. Even though this counts as 3 different teams, the reality is that I have been doing mostly the same type of work all around. I had pondered the idea of switching to a pure Software Engineer (SWE) role for all these years and never taken any action. Until now. Things change, and the time has come for me to make a move and pursue that thought in an effort to grow in a different direction. And why now, you ask? Well, simply because I have found a role in the NYC office for a project that I am personally passionate about. [Continue reading]

  • Introducing Nudgy Timer

    For the last two years, I had been meaning to write an Android app just for the sake of it. I had attempted to do so in short chunks of “free time”, but that never played out well: I had to force myself to sit down for a few hours straight to fight Android Studio and overcome the initial difficulties in coding for an unknown platform. That’s why, during the last Thanksgiving week, I took three days off of work to focus on writing my first Android app. The goal was to get a basic app that could later be built on iteratively as open source. The specifics of the app did not matter much for this exercise, but I had a simple idea in mind. [Continue reading]

  • Introducing Markdown2Social

    Markdown2Social is a new open-source tool, originally written at Google for Google-internal posts, that converts Markdown documents to Google+ posts. [Continue reading]

  • Compilers in the (BSD) base system

    A commonly held axiom in the BSD community is that the C compiler belongs in the base system. “This is how things have been since the beginning of time and they define the way BSD systems are”, the proposition goes. [Continue reading]

  • Welcome to my homepage, version 2.0!

    Back in May, I wanted to play a little bit with Twitter Bootstrap and the result of those experiments was that I set up a personal site on this same URL. The site served me well for these months, but I wanted to see it grow to better represent my presence on the Internet. To that end, I have now been playing with Jekyll, a static content management system natively supported by GitHub Pages, and came up with the site you are own now, which went live yesterday. [Continue reading]